This article is a step-by-step guide for creating your first template with the image editor. Consider this a quick guide to getting started by following these steps:
With Channable's dynamic image editor, you can combine data and image optimization for impactful ads. Effortlessly generate optimized and hyper-relevant, product ads for social multichannel campaigns, directly from your feed, at scale.
Before you get started, make sure that:
- The images you want to use are PNG, JPG, or JPEG files (other file types won’t work).
- All fields that (will) contain images are of type ‘Image’ so you can use them in the image editor. Read here how you can change the 'type' of a project field.
Create your first template
Step 1: Create an image rule
- First, you need a feed for the channel you want to create optimized images for.
If you want to validate if images are generated correctly before sending them to the advertising channel, it’s recommended to start with a feed that’s not used on a channel yet. For example, by copying an existing feed.
- Then go to ‘Rules > Image rules’ to create an image rule. Click 'New rule’ and give the rule a name.
Step 2: Create a template
- Now you can start creating your first template. Open the ‘select a template’ dropdown menu and select ‘+ New template’. If you have previously created templates in your account, these will show up in this dropdown.
- Give the template a name and click ‘Create’. This will bring you to the image editor itself.
- Build your template by adding objects and connecting project fields:
- Add an image object by clicking ‘Image’. Under the 'Design' tab you will find the option to select an image field :
- Add a text object by clicking ‘Text’. Use the 'Design' tab to edit the static text or add dynamic text by connecting a project field.
- Add a static shape by clicking ‘Shape’. Use the 'Design' tab to change the appearance of the shape.
Step 3: Apply template, filter products, and preview images
- Now, let’s make sure the template is being used in the feed. First, save the template and navigate back to the Image rules.
- Your newly created template is now available to select in the ‘select template’ dropdown menu.
- Next up: Select the field you want to store the template in. This field will contain the URL to access the generated image.
Make sure to select this field in the ‘Finalize’ step.
- Optionally: Use the ‘IF section’ of the image rule to filter to which products this rule should apply. E.g. if you have created a template that is only applicable to a specific category, brand, or other product group (do make sure that the image field in the Finalize step is filled for all items to prevent errors).
- Go to the ‘Preview result’ section to get an overview of all images that will be generated using this image rule.
Step 4: Generate images, check for errors, and set safety settings
- Run the feed to generate the images. Once the feed is done, you can find the generated image URL in the preview step of the feed. These URLs start with: https://channableusercontent.com/
- If there are any errors while generating the images, the feed will fail to run. You will be able to see the errors in the ‘status’ tab of the feed and in an email notification (if you have enabled this option for yourself as a user).
- You can change the feed behavior in case of errors via the ‘safety settings’ options:
- Fail the feed and send notification
- Remove the items from the feed if the image generation fails
- Use a backup image link by selecting a project field