Common Amazon Parent-Variant errors
One of the most common errors in a parent-variant setup is Error 8016. You will most likely see this error in the Variant/Child API. The error message you will see is:
"The product data provided was insufficient for creating a variation (parent/child) relationship for SKU: [SKU]. Ensure that the parent and child share the same VariationTheme and that there is a submission for variation theme attributes (for example, size and color for SizeColor VariationTheme)."
There are two common causes for this error:
- The Variation Theme of a variant (or child) product is different from its parent product. For example, in the Parent API you have selected 'Size' as the Variation Theme, but in the Variant/Child API one or more products have 'SizeColor' as Variation Theme.
Solution: Check the Variation Theme attribute in both API's in the Attributes step and make sure they are the same for all Parents and Variants that belong to the same family.
- One or more variation attributes of the selected Variation Theme are missing for the variant/child product. For example, you have selected 'SizeColor' as the Variation Theme for one product family, but only the 'Size' attribute is filled in the Attributes step of the Variant API.
Solution: Check which Variation Theme you have selected for your product families, and check if all the attributes that are part of this Variation Theme are completely filled in for your Variant products. If not, make sure to fill them in by enriching the product data of the relevant products (either with Rules in Channable, or by adding the information to the product in your Web shop Platform).
Other errors related to your Parent-Variant setup you might encounter are:
- Error 8017: Variation Theme missing,
- Error 8018: Cannot delete non-existing relationship,
- Error 8019: Parent and Child have the same SKU.
For more information on these errors, see the linked Amazon articles.
Other Amazon API errors
Your Amazon Parent-Variant setup can also encounter general Amazon API errors. These are often errors regarding the product information filled in the Attributes step of the Variant/Child API. Make sure all mandatory attributes are filled in for your Variant API. For more information on common Amazon API errors, see this article.